- "This nimble warrior can both mount and attack foes, and use a bow to strike from afar."
Striders are a high dexterity vocation focused on swift and powerful melee, and close range arrow attacks. Their primary Weapons are a pair of Daggers, supported by a Shortbow. For armor Striders generally wear Light Armor Sets, or similar non-set components - their armor requires a trade off between defense and mobility - custom arm armor leaves one hand unrestricted for dextrous use of the bow.
Striders are uniquely fast climbers and suited to attacking giant creatures directly, additionally when climbing their stamina use is one third less of all other vocations, and they gain an attack power boost when climbing certain giant foes. They can also hold their own on the front lines, relying on fast movement and dodges to evade enemy attacks. Their shortbows are best suited to arrow strikes at short distances, and lose power rapidly at distance.
Striders have balanced growth as they gain experience, with stamina development being notably high - suited for their energy sapping quick attacks. They lack magick and all their attacks are based around physical strength.
Additionally they have a variety of skills to trap, stun, and trick foes, and are the only vocation than can steal from other creatures.
Skills and Augments
- Skills in bold are unique to the Strider.
- Skills in italics can only be obtained via Skill Rings and Bands found in Dark Arisen.
|Dagger||Carve||Already learned||-||Continuous attacks with a dagger.|
|Dagger||Two Step||Already learned||-||A two-level stabbing strike straight forward.|
|Dagger||Vault||Already learned||-||Executes a jump to a higher location.|
|Dagger||Roundelay||1||600||An advanced form of Two-Step that appends a whirling slash to victims.|
|Dagger||Engrave||1||800||An advanced form of a Carve that includes kicks after a flurry of dagger blows to strike at a broader range.|
|Dagger||Double Vault||5||1,800||An advanced form of Vault that kicks at the air to propel the user in a second leap.|
|Dagger||Forward Roll||5||2,200||Curls forward into a tumble effective as an evasive maneuver.|
|Bow||Loose||Already learned||-||Fires equipped bow. Can execute while moving.|
|Bow||Quick-Loose||2||600||Requires less time to notch the next arrow after firing.|
|Scarlet Kisses||Already learned||-||Concentrates a flurry of slashes on a single point, easily shredding foes with meager endurance.|
|Biting Wind||1||200||Dashes past the target with blades extended, delivering slashes that can be followed with further attacks on contacs.|
|Toss and Trigger||3||700||Steps in with blade strike that sends the target aloft. Additional button presses throw and detonate a store of powder.|
|Ensnare||3||900||Casts out cords to snare lightweight foes, pulling them to the ground to incapacitate them.|
|Helm Splitter||3||900||Dives through the air while spinning, blades extended. Especially effective when performed from high places.|
|Cutting Wind||4||900||An advanced form of Biting Wind. Slashes past the target, appending more strikes to the onslaught upon connecting with foe.|
|Dazzle Hold||4||900||Casts a firework explosive into the fray that stuns nearby foes.|
|Reset||4||900||Returns the user to a neutral stance, eliminating openings caused by other actions.|
|Sprint||4||1,100||Leans in and dashes forward with blades drawn, ready to perform further feats with additional commands. During Dash press [Jump] to jump, [Heavy Attack] to slide or [Light Attack] to cancel.|
|Advanced Trigger||5||1,200||An advanced form of Toss and Trigger that both strengthens the upward slash and broadens the subsequent blast.|
|Implicate||6||2,000||An advanced form of Ensnare allowing the user to throw a snare to capture multiple targets at once.|
|Skull Splitter||6||2,000||An advanced form of Helm Splitter that employs a faster spin to deliver a greater number of slashes during the spinning dive.|
|Mad Dash||6||2,000||An advanced form of Sprint that reduces stamina consumption and extends the duration of the run. During Dash press [Jump] to jump, [Heavy Attack] to slide or [Light Attack] to cancel.|
|Pilfer||6||2,000||Steals items from foes caught unawares. Especially effective against foes who are sleeping, blinded, or being held by allies.|
|Dazzle Blast||7||2,000||An advanced form of Dazzle Hold that tosses an explosive crafted to stun foes within a broader radius.|
|Hundred Kisses||7||2,000||An advanced form of Scarlet Kisses that focuses a quick flurry of slashes on a single point, allowing for more strikes.|
|Instant Reset||7||2,000||An advanced form of Reset employable even while under attack that returns the user to a neutral stance, eliminating openings caused by other actions.|
|Master Thief||8||3,500||An advanced form of Pilfer that lets the user steal multiple items at once and increases the chances of nabbing rare items.|
|Stepping Stone||8||3,500||Leaps forward in a flying kick, then uses the target as a foothold to jump still higher.|
|Leaping Stone||9||3,500||An advanced form of Stepping Stone. Kicks forward from an extended range, then jumps off the target, high into the air.|
|Shearing Wind||Requires Daggerist's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Cutting Wind that increases the attack range, the amount of strikes, and the speed of dash.|
|Thousand Kisses||Requires Daggerist's Band||-||An advanced form of Hundred Kisses that heightens the speed and number of slashes in the flurry.|
|Brain Splitter||Requires Strider's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Skull Splitter that hastens the speed of the spin in order to increase the numbers of strikes.|
|Soaring Stone||Requires Strider's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Leaping Stone that also yanks its victims into the air for a follow-up attack.|
|Threefold Arrow||Already learned||-||Fires Three arrows in rapid succession.|
|Triad Shot||1||200||Fires three arrows in a wedge pattern.|
|Cloudburst Volley||1||250||Sends a wall of arrows skyward to rain down on a broad area.|
|Full Bend||3||700||Draws the bow with all the user's might, then looses a shot straight ahead.|
|Pentad Shot||4||900||An advanced form of Triad Shot that fires five arrows in a wedge pattern instead of three.|
|Downpour Volley||4||1,100||An advanced form of Cloudburst Volley that expands the area of the attack.|
|Mighty Bend||5||1,200||An advanced form of Full Bend that requires less time to nock the arrow, enabling faster successive firing.|
|Splinter Dart||6||2,000||Sends up an explosive arrow that splits in mid-air, showering the area with smaller missiles.|
|Fivefold Flurry||7||2,000||An advanced form of Threefold Arrow that fires five arrows in rapid succession.|
|Fracture Dart||8||3,500||An advanced form of Splinter Dart. Sends up an explosive arrow that splits in mid-air, showering an even wider area with smaller missiles.|
|Whistle Dart||8||3,500||Looses an arrow that produces a piercing screech, halting foes for a moment's time.|
|Shriek Dart||9||5,000||An advanced form of Whistle Dart that emits a louder cry to stun more enemies.|
|Terrible Bend||Requires Bowman's Ring||-||An advanced form of Mighty Bend that further shortens the time required to nock the arrow.|
|Hailstorm Volley||Requires Strider's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Downpour Volley that launches more arrows and further expands the area of the attack.|
Enables the character to clamber up cliffs and other terrain more quickly.
|Endurance||2||700||Increases maximum Stamina by 100.|
|Damping||3||1,300||Decreases recoil after firing a bow.|
|Eminence||5||2,200||Increases the damage of Jumping Attacks by 30%.|
|Grit||5||2,200||Halves the recovery time when stamina is depleted.|
|Arm-Strength||7||4,500||Halves the Stamina consumed when clinging to objects or terrain.|
Makes the character one weight class lighter for the purpose of moving.
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
|Under Lvl 10||25||25||3||3||3||2|
|* Figures are approximate|
- Being close to one's target maximizes a shortbow's damage output, unlike the Ranger's Longbow:
- Skull Splitter and its variants is an exceptionally powerful offensive skill. Despite being an aerial attack the augment Eminence does not activate during the jump - however if used in conjunction with Vault, Double Vault or Leaping Stone the augment attack boost will activate.
- An upgraded Rusted Bow in combination with multi arrow skills is very useful in inflicting Torpor on enemies - once torpored a more powerful bow can be equipped. For more details see Rusted Weapons.
- Strider is a fast climber with low stamina drain whilst clinging.
- Cutting Wind is excellent for dodging and for attacking fast enemies like Hellhounds. The move will auto-lock on the nearest enemy if the control stick is not aimed in a specific direction. This skill is extremely effective on any enemy bearing a Shield or Magick Shield, as it will strike the unguarded rear flank on the return pass.
- Downpour Volley is effective at striking the heads of foes, which are often weak points.
- Instant Reset can be used to cancel out animations to rapidly repeat attacks like Brain Splitter, or to quickly stand back up after being knocked down. It can also be used for rapidly turning on and off the Lantern when the Arisen gets drenched.
- Ensnare or Implicate work well against any foe smaller than (and including) Saurians, including Harpies and Hellhounds. It's a quick way to pull them toward you or Pilfer as they hold them down.
- Sprint can be used to quickly close the distance between you and an enemy or to escape as well. It also serves as a slide when the Heavy Attack button is pressed, enabling you to slide under a much larger foe or trip a smaller foe, causing them to fall over. This is the dropkick maneuver Ogres are known to use.
- Striders get a ~66% increase in damage (compared to other daggerists) when climbing certain large foes - however the boost is not universal.
The Equipment of the Strider in the Change Vocation Menu is:
- Criteria / Shortbow [Weapons]
- Assembled Vest / Chestguard [Torso]
- Assembled Sleeves [Arms]
- Bandit Stalkers / Assembled Breeches [Legs]
- Shed Cape [Cloak]
The vocation's name is may be a reference to the Capcom video game franchise character, Strider Hiryu, although the name "Strider" is used interchangeably for Aragorn II in the Lord of the Rings books written in 1954 by J.R.R. Tolkien.
- Strider www.dragonsdogma.com