Speed Run mode is a time challenge mode in which the aim is to complete the game in the shortest possible time. A previous save game including all earned items, skills and character development, can be used to initiate a speedrun.
Items used during the speedrun are not deducted from the player's main save, encouraging unsparing use of the Arisen's accumulated potions, periapts, Blast Arrows, and so on.
Once completed the previous game will restart from the position reached at the time the speed mode run was started - progress is not lost, but a Hard Mode game will restart in a normal difficulty setting.
Warning! Death during a speedrun terminates the attempt - there are no retries. Wakestone revives are allowed.
The tips below provide suggestions to help complete the speedrun in under an hour. Major spoilers are displayed in the content.
Before beginning, it would be very useful to have these items in the inventory (but not required):
- 20/21 Wakestones (1 to optional fall down the pre-Dragon Everfall, 20 to give Quince)
- 12 Ferrystones
- 1 Wyrmking's Ring Forgery (to quickly complete The Wyrmking's Ring)
- optional : 5 Altar Slates if the player chooses to complete the Watergod's Altar as one of the two Wyrm Hunt Quests
- optional : 1 Skeleton Key - attacking people in Gran Soren and getting thrown in jail can be used as a shortcut to visit Aldous).
- Approximately 20 Conqueror's Periapts or Tagilus's Miracles (to help quickly end the nine mandatory battles)
- Approximately 20 Blast Arrows (combine with the Conqueror's Periapts and Tagilus's Miracles to finish the nine mandatory battles quickly)
- Approximately 20-30 Group health curatives (preferably lightweight Ne'er-Do-Parts, Vivifying Incense and Auspicious Incense; if lesser heavier curatives such as Spring Water of Balmy Incense are used they can be given to a pawn to carry). These are used to heal the ox pulling the cart during Off With Its Head after the Arisen repeatedly kicks it to move faster)
- 1 Maker's Finger (a single shot to the heart during the initial conversation will immediately slay The Dragon)
Before beginning, make sure Portcrystals are placed in all the key story locations. The player will need to teleport (at least) 11 times for maximum speed. For this Speedrun place them at (listed in order of story progression) :
- Hillfigure Knoll (for The Cypher quest)
- Outside The Shadow Fort or outside The Watergod's Altar depending on the choice made for the second Wyrm Hunt Quest
- Moonshower Cliffs (the Griffin ambush site) - place the crystal at the nearest Spider or Goblin location so that the bait can be collected immediately
- Windbluff Tower (for Pride Before a Fall)
- The Mountain Waycastle (for Honor and Treachery)
- Greatwall Encampment (for Deny Salvation).
- Build :
- Recommended vocation: Strider (or Assassin) - Assassin has slightly better movement speed than all other vocations, but the strider skill Mad Dash gives it slight superiority
- Attempt to maximise running speed - amongst other factors, small torso and possibly male sex improve speed
- Maximise Character Height for the highest jogging speed
- As a large number of Blast Arrows may be carried, amongst other items, maximise Character Weight for highest carrying capacity to minimise Encumbrance
- The Character Editor can be use to temporarily create the best suited build (tall, heavy, male, small torso).
- Ideally use a powerful level 200 character to minimise fight times.
- Useful augments:
- Useful skills:
- Be rude! Affinity does not matter here, so ignore most Reynard, Aelinore, Madeleine, etc. The player only needs to (pro-actively) speak with twelve different characters for the Speedrun (listed in order of story progression):
- Ecbal (at the encampment, to retrieve initial equipment and skills)
- Mercedes (for quest progression)
- Asalam (at the Union Inn)
- Ser Camillus (guarding the Pawn Guild)
- Barnaby (at the Pawn Guild, for the Lure of the Abyss quest)
- Ser Maximilian (for the Wyrm Hunt Quests)
- The Dragonforged (to complete The Cypher quest)
- Ser Robert or Haslett (at either The Shadow Fort or Watergod's Altar),
- Aldous (for the Royal Orders Quests)
- Ser Georg (to begin the Griffin hunt)
- The Duke (to initiate Deny Salvation)
- Quince (to hand over the 20 Wakestones in the Everfall).
- Be wasteful! Items used and Gold spent during the Speedrun will not be deducted from the main save file's real inventory. No data is carried back over to the New Game Plus or Hard Mode except the two reward outfits and the personal time of Speedrun completion. So feel free to burn through expensive items like Blast Arrows, Vivifying Incense, Tagilus's Miracles, Kept Sour Ambrosial Meats or whatever is needed.
- Be a coward! Only nine battles are mandatory, so run past all other enemies. The player need only slay or repel:
- 1 Cyclops (for the Call of the Arisen quest)
- 1 Hydra (cut off a single head for the Off With Its Head quest)
- 1 Griffin (for the Griffin's Bane quest)
- 1 Cockatrice (either slay outright or repel it to finish the Honor and Treachery quest)
- 1 Chimera (during the Deny Salvation quest)
- 2 Wights (to finish the Deny Salvation quest)
- 1 Gorechimera (may be lured onto the Pressure Plates in The Tainted Mountain Temple battle prior to facing The Dragon, bypassing the need to slay it)
- The Dragon (for The Final Battle)
- The Seneschal (for Final Judgement)
- Don't waste time picking up any Gold or loot! Nothing obtained during a Speedrun is carried over to the main save file.
- Begin! Instead of attacking The Dragon, run away back towards Pablos' Inn!
- Run past Reynard to the Encampment.
- Speak to Ecbal in the tent to retrieve all items and equipment need. Distribute all the items and equipment to pawns later. The timer is frozen while the player is looking at menus and inventory, so take the time to get everything prepared properly. Ensure all augments and skills are equipped.
- Interact with the Riftstone. Exit the Encampment's eastern gate. Slay the Cyclops (Call of the Arisen, Battle #1).
- Interact with the Riftstone again to retrieve the Main Pawn.
- Two more pawns may be recruited at this point, but are not needed outside battle. If the potentially quicker Gorechimera tactic for opening the door to the Dragon is used it will only add extra time to hire and later dismiss pawns.
- Ignore Ser Berne's training by walking past him to go out the gate and speak to Ecbal again to retrieve the Main Pawn's equipment and skill loadout.
- The main pawn can be used to carry equipment and quest items such as Altar Slates, Blast Arrows, and additional curatives. Their encumbrance will not affect the Arisen.
- Speak to Mercedes for the first time. Sleep. Slay the Hydra (Battle #2). Exit and run to the southern Mountain Waycastle (Off With Its Head).
- Speak to Mercedes again to begin the ox cart escort.
- Kick the ox ([interact] button) to make it move quickly, and use Group health curatives to heal it when its health gets low; the ox cannot die, but if it sustains too much damage, it will move slower.
- In Gran Soren, speak to Asalam at the Inn, then Ser Camillus guarding the Pawn Guild, then Barnaby at the Pawn Guild to begin Lure of the Abyss.
- In The Everfall (Pre-Dragon), jump to the bottom, die, and use a Wakestone to revive. Ignore the Portcrystal, and "examine" the center of the platform. As the Tentacles begin to sprout, use Ferrystone #1 to teleport back up to Gran Soren.
- Back at the Pawn Guild, Ser Duncan issues a Wyrm Hunt License. Ignore the rest of Lure of the Abyss; it will automatically fail when you meet the Duke.
- Run to the Noble Quarter, speak to Ser Maximilian for the first time and accept two of the four quests: "Decipher a text" (The Cypher) and either "Rout a monster infestation" (A Fortress Besieged) 'or' "Aid a research team" (The Watergod's Altar). The choice of either of the two latter quests will depend upon proper preparation for the speed run. Only accept The Watergod's Altar if the player already has 5 Altar Slates prepared. Only two of the four quests must be completed to progress the story.
- (If performing The Watergod's Altar, first run over to Gran Soren Cathedral and speak to Geffrey the head priest.) Teleport to Hillfigure Knoll (Ferrystone #2). Speak to The Dragonforged. Now immediately teleport to either The Watergod's Altar or The Shadow Fort for the second quest.
- The Watergod's Altar option : (Ferrystone #3), run inside (the bridge gap can be easily crossed with a running Double Vault, else bring a copy of the Watergod's Altar Lever) and "examine" the remains of the dead priest (near the Cyclops, but ignore it) and immediately teleport back outside (Ferrystone #4). Speak to the priest Haslett standing at the entrance, give him the 5 Altar Slates, and teleport back to Gran Soren (Ferrystone #5). It is recommended to let pawns carry the slates to avoid slow run speed - the issue of pawns falling in the water should not arise if one runs straight through to the dead monk.
- A Fortress Besieged option: At The Shadow Fort (Ferrystone # 3), Run to and kill Ser Robert - you will be told to "report your defeat" but the quest will be marked as completed not failed.
- Teleport back to Gran Soren (Ferrystone #4 or #5 depending on which Wyrm Hunt quests were completed).
- Speak to Ser Maximilian again and accept "Hear the Duke's directive" (Come to Court). The Wyrm Hunt License will be revoked.
- Enter the Duke's Demesne for the first time. After meeting the Duke, run directly to the Demense exit and avoid the Gardens and the cutscene with Aelinore. Speak with Ser Alvert at the gate, then run back upstairs and speak to Aldous for the first time. Accept both quests: "Aid the corps on a hunting expedition" (Griffin's Bane) and "Gather evidence for an important trial" (Trial and Tribulations). Sleep. Exit Gran Soren's main (southern) gate.
- Outside, speak with Ser Georg to begin the Griffin hunt. Use a ferrystone to get to the Moonshower Cliffs (or just run), slay or grab a Goblin or Spider and throw it in the circle. Activate the Blast Arrows and four Conqueror's Periapts. Slay the Griffin and do not let it escape! (Battle #3).
- If the Griffin ambush was portcrystaled to the battle may happen without the Soldiers arriving. A minor glitch may occur where Ser George's voice is heard despite him not being present - this does not affect progression.
- Teleport back to Gran Soren. Speak to Aldous to report. Sleep four days then walk out of the inn to learn of Fournival's trial verdict.
- Speak to Aldous to report. Accept both quests: "Recover a stolen item" (The Wyrmking's Ring) and "Assist Ser Mercedes" (Pride Before a Fall). Exit the castle and speak with Mercedes at the Demesne's main gate.
- Teleport to the Windbluff Tower (the Portcrystal may be placed upstairs at the tower). Interrupt the duel by slaying Julien, or simply try to leave the room during the duel. Exit the upper room and speak to Mercedes again.
- Teleport back to Gran Soren. Sleep. Report to Aldous.
- Teleport to the southern Waycastle. A guard delivers some news.
- Teleport back to Gran Soren. Activate the Blast Arrows and four Conqueror's Periapts, then run up the path toward the staircase to the Noble Quarter. From the path, fire long range Fivefold Flurry Blast Arrows to immediately slay the Cockatrice (Battle #4, Honor and Treachery). Speak to Ser Camillus near the staircase shortcut (the Passage Gate).
- Report to Aldous and give him the Wyrmking's Ring Forgery. For Reward and Responsibility, speak to the Duke in his Solar room upstairs. Follow the Duke to the Treasury room or grab him, get arrested, and use a Skeleton Key to get out of the dungeon downstairs. After the Treasury room scene, accept the Duke's quest Deny Salvation.
- Teleport to The Greatwall. Sleep. Run inside, turn right in the fort, up the stairs, and ignore all enemies. Slay the Chimera (Battle #5) and run up to the roof. Slay the two Wights (Battle #6, Deny Salvation).
- After the cutscene, the party is at the bottom of the fort again. Run downstairs, past the Geo Saurians, Succubi, and Hellhounds to the Gorechimera (Battle #7).
- Either slay the creature as quickly as possible then active the Pressure Plates (a full party of high Character Weight and heavily encumbered pawns will speed this process)
- It is possible to progress without slaying the Gorechimer - lure it onto the Pressure Plates (the heavy creature will instantly activate them) to open the door leading to The Dragon. This luring will be easier with less or no pawns (dismiss two at the Greatwall riftstone, the main pawn can be thrown off the cliff on the path to the Dragon).
- After the Beloved cutscene (while the Arisen is choosing to fight or flee), the player may immediately fire the Maker's Finger at the Dragon to slay it (Battle #8, The Final Battle).
- (Using the Maker's Finger will be quicker than fighting the Dragon conventionally)
- Victorious, teleport from Post-Game Cassardis back to Gran Soren. You should already have 20 Wakestones, if not, grab them now. Speak to Quince in the Everfall and give her the 20 Wakestones. Jump into the abyss.
- Facing the Seneschal, the Arisen may use Mad Dash away from the Seneschal instead of attacking him during the first two encounters. Use Mad Dash or Forward Roll through the tunnel where the illusory characters stand, optionally killing them from afar will skip being interrupted with dialogue while travelling down the tunnel. Defeat Savan (Battle #9, Final Judgement).
- Use the Godsbane on Savan, then on the Arisen.
- Alternatively Savan can be killed by other means.
- Speed Run complete! Good job!
Speed run records
The shortest known time for completion of a New Game Plus speedrun is 14 minutes 38 seconds.
- The player cannot save during Speed Run Mode. Speed Run Mode must be completed in a single session, although the game may be paused.
- Sleeping at an inn or rest area will not save the game or incur any time penalty.
- All accumulated inventory from the main game is available, including equipment, items, Gold, Ferrystones, Portcrystals, etc.
- The Arisen and Main Pawn's level, stats, and skills are carried over from the main game save file.
- There is a timer on the right side of the screen that counts up when the player is in control of the Arisen. The timer stops during pauses, cutscenes, when the player is in the inventory menu, and within the Rift.
- The player cannot access online pawns; only the pre-built offline Capcom pawns may be hired. Even offline "favorites" are unavailable, so the player must search anew for pawns for every Speed Run.
- Difficulty is set to normal and cannot be changed for the duration of the Speed Run.
- Speed Run is completed in a self-contained world. None of the items the player obtains or uses, experience points, discipline points, or levels gained, Gold earned, or changes in affinity carry over after the Speed Run is completed.
- The player will be awarded the two outfits for simply completing Speed Run Mode, regardless of their final completion time.
- (Glitch) If a speed mode run is started from a main game being played in Hard Mode, once completed the earlier game will be restarted in Normal Mode from the last progress point, and not in Hard Mode. In general after completing a speed run, the game will restart one difficulty mode down from where it was prior to the speed run.
- Completing a speed run and earning The Sprinter trophy is the least completed of all the Achievements with between 0.5-2.5% of players completing one.
- A speed run can be used to obtain the achievement The Ever-Turning Wheel.
- 「Dragon's Dogma」の開発者がタイムアタックに挑戦 [Developer of "Dragon's Dogma" challenges Time Attack] 4GamerMovie via www.youtube.com