Mystic Knight Shield Counters ("parry" or "parries") are offensive spells produced from specifically enchanted Magick Shields when a Perfect Block is performed. To be able to Perfect Block and trigger the spell counter the core skill Reflect is required.
|Spell Type||Duration of Enchant|
|Counters||~ 50 seconds|
|Ripostes||~ 1 min 50 seconds|
The Mystic Knight's Magick Shields can be used to block incoming attacks just like common Shields. Magick Shields can be enchanted by the knight with one of the Five Archmagicks (using a Counter, Riposte, or Feint spell). When enchanted, blocking with the shield can cause some damage to the attacker with a chance to trigger that specific enchantment's secondary elemental effects, such as Burning, Frozen, Thundershock, Dark Critical Hits, and Holy healing.
When the shield is enchanted, a perfect block will conjure a return offensive spell. The damage from these spells is based upon the magick of the shield, as well as the Mystic Knight's magick attribute stat. The initial shockwave from these blocks also incorporates a physical component.
The fire, thunder, and ice based counters tend to lift up and throw back most smaller foes, so that they are struck by the spell in mid air; the holy and dark based counters do not have the propelling effect, but instead have strong stagger or knockdown.
|Element||Enchant||Effect of Perfect Block||Notes|
|Fire||Firecounter||Conjures Ingle like fireballs that can cause burning||A single Ingle-like fireball|
|Flame Riposte||Three fireballs, similar to High Ingle|
|Inferno Feint||Several fireballs, like Grand Ingle|
|Ice||Icecounter||A blast of cold, akin to the release from a Frazil spell, that damages and may freeze||Similar to the blast from Frazil|
|Frost Riposte||A larger blast, similar to that from High Frazil|
|Blizzard Feint||An even wider cone of cold|
|Thunder||Thundercounter||Casts Levin like bolts of lightning that may strike foes at distance, with strong knockdown, and a chance to thundershock||A single bolt of lightning like the strike from Levin|
|Thunder Riposte||Three lighning strikes, much like High Levin|
|Boltstorm Feint||Many bolts of lightning, like Grand Levin|
|Holy||Holycounter||Orbs of holy light are created, which advance slowly forward from the shield. Like all holy spells the orbs may heal the caster if they harm a foe.
Successive parries may extend the range of orbs, not produce new orbs
|A single orb is produced|
|Blessed Riposte||Three orbs|
|Hallowed Feint||Five orbs, expanding outwards from the knight|
|Dark||Darkcounter||Generates a blast of dark magick in front of the shield, with strong torporing properties, as well as a chance to inflict a critical hit||Similar to frazil, but dark|
|Abyssal Riposte||A larger cone of dark|
|Desecration Feint||A wider arc of dark blast|
|Italics - Dark Arisen only, requires a special band or ring|
A successful counter damages in two steps:
Firstly, the perfect block's effect includes a shockwave that will stagger and or knockback the attacker, plus a strong physical component, plus a lesser magickal component in the element of the spell. This shockwave is unusual in that it uses both core magick and core strength. Ranged attacks are not struck by this shockwave.
Secondly, attackers may be hit by the spell conjured by the perfect block.
- For Lightning and Fire shield spell enchantments the effect and damage is identical to the similar tier Levin or Ingle spell; e.g., Thunder Riposte generates a spell identical to High Levin. Generally the attacker is targeted by the spell, including ranged attacks at great distances.
- For Ice enchantments, the conjured spell is similar to the damaging blast wave from a Frazil-type spell, however, the effect is usually stronger, with better results with better Magick Shields. The spell affects all in range, with nearer targets taking more damage.
- For Holy enchantments, slow moving orbs are produced that hit multiple times. Orb power is relatively weak, and remains unchanged from the counter to riposte spell.
- For Dark enchantments, a dark shockwave is produced, similar to Frazil but smaller in range. It has high Torporing and Critical Hitting power. For Darkcounter this attack does not damage, (though the perfect block will); Abyssal Riposte gains a damaging dark magick component to the riposte.
All of the counters can be repeated in sequence without breaking or interrupting function; for example, if the Mystic Knight is countering a spell that has a duration that lasts longer than the counter, such as the Ur-Dragon's Holy Furor spell, repeating the counter can maintain the character's guard without letting any damage through. This requires precise timing.
The force from a Perfect Block will fire Great Cannon sigils, as will the elemental spells produced from a perfect blocked "parry" with the shield. This is particularly effective with a holy based riposte, as the slow moving orbs fire the cannon many, many times.
Both lightning-based and fire-based "parries" can strike foes at great distances, and thus are effective not only against bow users and spellcasters, but also ballista.
- See also: Unblockable attacks
Poorly timed counters, and blocking without Reflect will not trigger spells; however, any foe directly meleeing the Magick Shield will be damaged from the element of the spell on the shield and may also be debilitated by the secondary effect of the specific single enchantment's Five Archmagicks that was used to enchant the shield.
The reflected damage from standard blocks appears to be in the element used to enchant the shield and does not increase with higher tier versions of the enchanting spell.
- With a perfect block the Mystic Knight expends no stamina and takes no damage. Furthermore, when a spell counter is produced, it also requires no stamina to cast.
- The counter spells also enchant the shield so that it causes elemental damage in short range when blocking attacks, and may also cause Elemental Debilitations.
- The Perfect Block from a counter or riposte enchanted Magick Shield is different from that when the shield is not enchanted: the unenchanted perfect block produces a frontal shockwave that can damage multiple foes, whereas when enchanted only the foe directly attacking takes damage, even if enemies are closely grouped. The Reflected damage also gains a limited magickal component, too.
- Certain magick shields such as the Thunder Kite Shield carry a permanent magical enchantment. Such shields do not generate the Riposte spells that spell enchantment brings. The magic enhancement does, however, increase the magick power of the shield a little.
- An upgraded Rusted Magick Shield may inflict poison and torpor debilitations on enemies, including when foes are hit by the spell conjured by a perfect-blocked riposte.
- Some Mystic Knight shield enchants such as counters and ripostes increase the time window in which a perfect block can be performed. 'Riposte' spells further improve the effect on 'Counter' spells, though the third tier spells (Dark Arisen only) do not ease blocking further.
- Unfortunately, the Arisen is temporarily vulnerable to incoming attacks from the flank or rear while the Arisen is "frozen" in the Perfect Block riposte animation.
- Perfect Blocked ripostes in combination with Great Cannon forms part of several strategies for defeating the Ur-Dragon. See also Ur-Dragon Class Strategies; with modifications, these are also very effective in Bitterblack Isle.
- The Dark Arisen Bonus Enhancements arm armor enhancement "Boosts the power of normal and magick shields" increases magick shield spell damage.
- (BUG) In Dark Arisen transitioning between areas with any Shield Counter skill active will randomly add a debilitation. The next enemy hit will be debilitated on the first hit.
- Witnessed on Harpies, Drake, Thunderwyvern, Cursed Dragon and Frostwyrm.
- The power of the skill will also be greatly diminished.
- To fix, simply equip a different primary weapon, or unequip then reequip the shield, and re-cast the counter.
- This can also occur with Abyssal Anguish.