- "A merchant in Gran Soren. All trade has stopped as a result of the dragon's coming, and he's growing bored waiting for things to pick back up."
Mathewe is a merchant from another land - it seems he is from the somewhere to the northwest of Gransys, beyond the Greatwall.
- The Peddler's Petition (escort quest)
- "Hail, traveler! Come for the capital with pockets lines with gold, are you? ....No?"
- "Aye, well, you're not alone in that, friend. The dragon's coming has put a pinch on all our purses."
- "Say, have you chanced upon the falls near the encampment? There's a cave secreted behind."
- "Full of old ruins, too. I walked in a few paces once, curious to see how far in it went."
- "My nerve left me past that, though it grieves me to imagine all that treasure I missed..."
- "If you've the mettle and the interest, pray, go now, while there's treasure left to be had."
- "Perhaps you'll come back to share your findings in recompense for the tip, eh? ...No?"
- "I had thought to cross the mountains at the Greatwall to the west, then hook north to home... Now I hear tell that's where the damn Dragon's taken to roost."
- "I came in from the north, down 'round the jetty. As I passed the tower there, I came upon a flying beast of massive scale... I'll not cross that stretch again, save the dragon itself is chasing me."