Magick Defense is a primary Stat which represents a creature or individual's ability to with stand offensive spells. It is used in Damage Calculations. Uniquely it factors into healing from holy based offensive spells.
Often abbreviated MDEF.
Magick Defense is the resistance to magickal damage. The higher the Magick Defense stat, the less damage a person or creature will take from magickal attacks.
Magick Defense growth with level is highest, in order, by leveling as : Sorceror (below level 100); Mage and Magick Archer; then Mystic Knight. Melee vocations have poor Magick Defense growth with the ranged vocations of Strider and Ranger being a little better than Warrior and Fighter.
The core magick defense from stat growth is thought to be twice as important as the magick defense given from equipment.
|Augment||Description||Unlocked by Vocation|
|Sanctuary||Increases magick defense by 50% if health is critical||Mystic Knight|
|Bloodlust||Increases magick defense by 30% at nighttime||Assassin|
|Autonomy||Increases magick defense by 30% if playing alone||Assassin|
Magick Defense and Spell Damage Mitigation
- Main article: Damage Calculation
For foes and monsters it seems their Magick Defense is subtracted from the "Magick Power" of the Arisen's or ally's attacks, and if the value is positive they take that amount of damage. (modified by periapts, elemental weaknesses and so on).
For monster attacks on the Arisen and Pawns it seems that magick defense works differently - that is that damage is related by the equation :
- Damage = Foe_Magick_Power x 100 / (MDEFnaked + 0.5xMDEFequipment + 100)
As such core Magick Defence is more (twice as) important than equipment Magick Defence. There are also diminishing returns from having higher defense - according to the equation the first 100 (or 200 of equipment defense) should half damage, but it takes a further 300 (or 600 of equipment defence) to reduce damage by a further quarter..
- Main article: Holy
- May be abbreviated to MDEF.
- The maximum core Magick Defense by level 200 is 757. This is achievable by leveling as a Mage from 1-10, Sorcerer from 11-100, then Mage or Magick Archer from 101-200.
- The armor with highest magick defense is the Carrion Armor Set (MDEF 714), with Patterned Gambeson (MDEF 34), Silk Tights (MDEF 37), and Hellfire Cloak (MDEF 27) - a total equipment magick defense of 812 can be obtained.
- Delta Guard has slightly higher magick defense (DEF 31)
- Two Master Rings could give a maximum boost of +50 each.
- The total maximum effective magick defense is therefore 757+816/2+100/2 = 1215 - this would reduce incoming magic damage by 92%.
- The minimum core Magick Defense by level 200 is 168. This is achievable by levelling as a Fighter from 1-10, then Fighter, Warrior, or Assassin from 11-200.
- Damage Reducing Augments can further reduce both physical and magickal damage
- See also Defense - for physical defence.