Hellhounds spew fireballs, grab and drag knocked down characters a fair distance away, and use their maul attack to inflict large amounts of damage. When engulfed in flames, their bites cause additional Fire damage.
|Base Experience of 1280
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
|Sources: Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp), the Dragon's Dogma Signature Series Guide, List of Creature Debilitation Resistances, and in-game testing.|
|Charge||Phys||Charges at a target, knocking them back.|
|Fireball||Mag||Shoots a fireball at a target, knocking them down with a chance of also causing burning. If the fireball hits the floor, it explodes causing area damage and knockdown. Hellhounds will use this as a ranged attack if their target is not on the same level of elevation as them.|
|Drag †||Phys||Grabs a target who has been knocked to the floor and drags them a fair distance away. Then bites the victim causing significant damage until the character is dead or freed. Sometimes they will drag their victim off a cliff.|
|Fire Shroud||Spec||Roars causing itself to be shrouded in flames.
Hellhounds can also become inflamed when hit with a fire-based attack.
|Fire Roar||Spec||Once inflamed Hellhounds may roar again - those in close vicinity (~3m) of the roar may have Lowered Defense inflicted.|
|Bite †||Phys||Bites a character's leg and holds them in place, mauling them continuously until freed. Multiple Hellhounds can join in on this attack, dealing severe damage.|
|† Bites can very rarely inflict debilitations, such as Poison, Curse or Torpor.|
- Strong against Fire enchanted weapons and spells; Fire also increases their aggression.
- Weak against Holy and Ice enchanted weapons and spells.
- The shield Hellfang greatly increases attack power with shield attacks and blocks.
- Vulnerable to Torpor, Tarred, and Poison.
- When Tarred, Hellhounds will attempt to shake off the oil from their hides, during which time they are vulnerable to attacks and unable to mount a viable offense. Employ this tactic to keep them perpetually debilitated and vulnerable.
- Resistant to Blindness
- Class specific
- Fighters: Burst Strike is effective against the fast moving Hellhounds.
- Striders: Ensnare/Implicate can easily bring several Hellhounds to the ground for follow up attacks or grapples. Cutting Wind is effective against all fast moving enemies.
- Magick Archers: Sixfold Bolt will almost always freeze them.
- Mystic Knights: Ruinous/Perilous Sigil will stop a Hellhound's approach and help keep it at bay. Perfect Blocking the Hellhound's lunge or fireball with an Ice or Holy-buffed Riposte is also extremely effective.
- Sorcerers: High Maelstrom will suck up and annihilate light weight creatures like Hellhounds. A Holy or Ice-buffed Focused Bolt is very effective.
- Hellhound fireballs and pounces have high chance of causing knockdown, which is usually followed up by the drag attack.
- One way to avoid getting dragged by Hellhounds is to use Instant Reset whenever the Arisen gets hit or knocked down.
- Hellhound lunges and fireballs can be easily blocked and perfect blocked.
Pawn Bestiary Knowledge
- Weak to Holy.
- Weak to Ice.
- Use Fire based attacks to ignite them
- Douse with water once ignited to extinguish their flames
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 150 Hellhounds either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
- " 'Tis nothing like the wolves we've seen!"
- "A black beast... 'Tis strong, Arisen." (no Bestiary knowledge)
- "There, Master! Hellhound!"
- "Swathed in flames they're a greater threat!"
- "Watchdogs of the infernal beyond..."
- "A pack of hellhounds!"
- "Beasts of flame, and strong..."
- "Hellhounds, nearby!"
- Despite being 'from hell' and weak to holy Hellhounds are not Undead and aren't damaged by holy spells like Anodyne, nor does the Magick Shield Zombiebane increase damage.