The seven glowing magickal medals on a Golem's body grant them life and serve as their weak points. While most of the medals are scattered around the body, some are hidden in harder to reach places such as under the sole of its foot or in its palm. One of the medals will glow more brightly than the others and if this glowing medal is destroyed, the Golem will immediately "shutdown", going into a state of vulnerability. This gives the Arisen and their party ample time to quickly shatter any remaining medals. Word of warning though, after the Golem becomes frozen for a while, it will reactivate itself and "roar" sending everyone flying off its body. The color of the medals then switches to red, signalling that the Golem has entered the Berserk Rampage mode, which causes its attack speed to increase significantly. This can catch unwary targets off guard when they are used to its big, slow lumbering movements. Destroying several more of the medals or simply waiting out the Berserk Rampage will revert the Golem to its normal state.
|Base Experience of 8,600
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
From breaking a medal
|Sources: Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp), the Dragon's Dogma Signature Series Guide, List of Creature Debilitation Resistances, and in-game testing.|
- Values refer to the discs.
- † Reduced defense when raging
- ‡ Golems have a very high resistance to Magick - but not complete immunity
There are seven discs in total, with 4000 "health" each.
|Swipe||Phys||Swipes its arms at a target. It may also hit people climbing its lower back or the arms.|
|Pound||Phys||Smashes its fist into the ground in a one-two punch action. May cause Knockdown.|
|Head Swipe||Phsy||Swipes at a target on its head or face, anyone it hits is knocked off.|
|Laser Beam||Mag/Status||Fires a laser beam that causes explosions on the ground in its wake. The initial laser beam doesn't do damage, but the explosions will knock its target into the air, and may inflict Burning. It can sweep the laser in an arc or track down a target's location.|
|Jump||Phys||Jumps into the air, crushing anyone it lands on.|
|Grab||Spec||Its arms glow purple before grabbing a target. Proceeds to crush the target, which heals the Golem. Attack the arms or a medal to quickly free the captured victim.|
|Berserk Rampage||Phys/Spec||After the shutdown period has expired, it will roar, damaging and knocking down anyone nearby and turn red. It will then go berserk which will speed up its attack time and swipe at random targets for a short time.|
Generally only defeatable by physically destroying the seven glowing medals on its body.
- Invulnerable to Magick within the Five Archmagicks. The exceptions are spells that conjure a physical manifestation, and the spell Exequy.
- Immune to all debilitations.
- The medals are ressitant to Slashing Damage, so Blunt Damage is preferable :
- Can be destroyed by Fall Damage. Gicel is capable of pushing a Golem backwards off a ledge.
- Melee attacks whilst climbing get a damage boost - so jump on rather than at the Golem.
- A Maker's Finger will destroy this creation, but is is immune whilst dormant.
Usually one of the Golem's medal is a vulnerability - its location is revealed by attacks with magick. When the glowing disc is destroyed it causes the golem to 'shutdown' for a brief time, during which time it can be attacked with impunity.
- The glowing disc is not weaker than the other discs.
After shutdown the golem will rage, indicated by a more intense purple color coursing through its body. Whilst in this stage it becomes more aggressive - however its discs are weakened.
There is a medal underneath the Golem's foot, usually hard to target - it can be exposed by:
- Destroying the medal on its lower back which will usually cause it to drop to all fours.
- Destroying the medal on its leg which can cause it to drop on all fours.
- Hitting the mouth when the Golem fires its laser, which may knock it down.
Immolation will damage the foot disc even when standing.
Oddly attacks on the foot medal whilst climbing don't get the usual damage boost.
Though the Golem is almost immune to magick, spellcasters should still cast spells to reveal the Golem's weaker disc.
- Spells can still interrupt its Laser Beam attack.
- Sorcerers have multiple options.
- Mages have no spells capable of damaging the discs
- Magick Archer spells are mostly incapable of damaging the Golem
- Both Staff an Archistaff versions of Magick Billow can do physical damage.
- Jump-attack-jump/levitate/attack allows two attacks in the air and can increase damage rate.
- Jump-levitate-magick billow combos may be helpful in hitting parts of the Golem that are difficult to reach by climbing.
Pawn Bestiary Knowledge
- Golem Tactics - Grants knowledge for the whole Golem family.
- Golem Strategy Vol. 2 - When firing the laser beam the Golem's mouth is vulnerable, attacking there will stagger or knock it down.
- Attack and destroy the medals.
- Golem Strategy Vol. 1 - Use magick to attack the medals which will make one key medal glow brighter. This medal, when destroyed, will immobilize the Golem.
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 15 Golems either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
More information can be found on the Bestiary page.
- "Stone, animated by magick... A golem, Arisen"
- "Seems golems pay little mind to mages."
- "Strike at the glowing discs!"
- "We must destroy those amulets!"
- "Don't let it tread on you!"
- "Now, while we can get at that disc!"
- "'Tis down! Smash the amulets!"
- "It stopped! Now!"
- "I'll try striking where it glows!"
- "So those amulets served to animate the brute?"
- "How can we stop such a hulk?"
- "'Tis useless! It repels all attacks!"
- "'Tis dangerous in this state, but its amulets grow frail!"
- "'Tis gone mad! Stand clear!"
- "'Tis gone made with rage!"
- "Its defenses seem down just after it fires that beam..."
- "Magick ought expose its weak point!"
- "A spell will expose its amulets."
- "Those glowing discs are its weakness!"
- "Those glowing amulets serve as its heart!"
- "Destroy the discs that give it strength!"
- "I'll strike it with magick! Attack its weak point!"
- "How do we get at the amulets 'neath its feet?"
- "That light beam is deadly! Stay clear!"
- "Those amulets power its movement."
- "Beware that ray of light!"
- "Blunt strikes will best shatter the discs."
- "Perhaps if we aim for the lighted discs?"
- Golems appear to have no particular features at first, but upon closer inspection, one can see a tormented, agonized facial expression on the Golem's head.
- There are "hibernated" Golems in Witchwood that never come to life when approached - in Selene's garden and in the marsh behind her house.
- The Golem protecting Selene in the Witchwood is likely a homage to the Golems in Berserk [ベルセルク] a manga by Kentarō Miura.
- In Capcom's Devil May Cry 5 (2019), the character V has a summon named "nightmare" - a powerful golem like demon that attacks by pummeling with its fists, as well as a laser beam from its head : "Its sluggish movements belie unsurpassable strength and nigh-invulnerability. Wherever Nightmare appears, its massive fists or brutal laser beams are the last thing enemies ever see."