- "An advanced form of Splinter Dart. Sends up an explosive arrow that splits in mid-air, showering an even wider area with smaller missiles."
An advanced version of Splinter Dart.
- Press and hold the bound button to shoot, and then release the button to trigger the explosion.
- Unlike Downpour Volley, the trajectory of this attack can not be altered, though the position it explodes along its flight can be manipulated.
- The darts follow a high parabolic arc that gains enough height to easily hit a hovering Drake or Hydra's heads. The arc ensures the explosions land only a few body lengths in front of the archer.
- The range of projectile's flight highly depends on height difference between the position of the user and target.
- Similar to Dazzle Blast, the initial projectile must impact the enemy in order to inflict Torpor and Poison with an equipped Rusted Bow.
- The darts will impact on low ceilings and not explode properly, making this skill generally useless indoors. A few indoor locations have ceilings that are sufficiently lofty, notably:
- To retain partial usefulness indoors against higher or flying targets, it is advisable to either line up the shot with the enemy or fire point-blank.
|Each explosion produces multiple "bangs",|
typically two per explosion cluster
Damage can consist of two components:
- The arrow itself
- The explosions clusters from the arrow
Damage from the arrow is relatively weak, similar to that of Loose - a direct hit is required for this arrow to damage - if it strikes it may inflict debilitations including Elemental Debilitations as well as minor magick damage if the bow is enchanted.
The secondary explosions constitute the major part of the damage
- When used properly, the darts explode in the air dealing explosive damage, and have a very good chance to inflict burning.
- If the arrow is not exploded before it hits the ground, the skill will not be as effective since it will detonate with approximately only half the available explosive charge. It is better to trigger the explosion just above ground for maximum effect.
- The explosion has good knockdown, and can reliably knock most Dragonkin out of the air when flying.
- Due to multiple explosions over a wide area it is possible to simultaneously hit multiple body parts of large enemies, effectively multiplying stagger/knockdown power.
- If the bow is permanently magickally enchanted (ie Dragon's Ire) the darts will have a relatively small magickal component in the fire element.
- Spell enchantments do not add magick damage to the explosions, nor do they change the element, nor do they add magickal damage to unenchanted bows.
- Damage scales very strongly with total strength, including core and bow strength.
- Damage is greatly boosted by Strength Boosted.
- Though it can inflict burning, the physical explosions are not based on elemental fire damage. Thus, they do not have extra effect on enemies weak to fire.
- Pawns are very effective at using this skill and can be observed to learn the correct positioning.
- Pawns with good Bestiary knowledge can be problematic with this skill in low-ceiling enclosed spaces such as those found in Bitterblack Isle as they will use it exclusively against creatures with Fire weakness; however they do not recognise that the darts are missing the target constantly due to striking the low ceiling and thus fail to contribute to the battle.
- If Special Arrows are equipped a single arrow will be used. If Blast Arrow are equipped they will add ~20% to inflicted damage, but only if a direct or near hit on a target is obtained.
- As the skill has no significant magickal component, creatures such as Ghosts are not affected by this skill.
- If used correctly, damage output can be very high (as good as or better than Downpour Volley), but there is no opportunity to exploit elemental weaknesses.
- This skill can remove the wooden bar on the opposite side of a gated door, if it can be fired beyond the gate. This is only possible on the roofless room at the far end of The Shadow Fort: fire from the side wall, not the door way, and aim to get the dart to explode just inside the room.
- Dazzle Blast - works in a similar way - only the main projectile can debilitate, then splits into several explosions.
- Magickal Gleam - a similar mechanic is used for the correct release of this Magick Archer skill.