As players complete tasks, quests and hunt monsters in the fields, they gain Experience Points. A fraction of this gain is also given in Discipline Points.
Whilst experience points are automatically used when levelling, discipline points are manually spent on new skills, upgrades to skills, and new augments, as well as unlocking new vocations - they aren't tied to the vocation they were obtained as, and can carry across to be used to when developing as another class.
The degree of experience in a given vocation is given by the vocation's Rank (or discipline level). A newly learnt vocation starts at a discipline level of 1. The maximum level for each vocation is 9.
Discipline Points Formula
Discipline Points are gained based on the amount of Experience Points earned from a kill or quest.
In general, every time experience points are gained, a fraction of that quantity is also gained as discipline points - the relative amount is much higher for small increments of experience, meaning that the most efficient way to earn discipline is to defeat small creatures, and complete minor tasks.
as a percentage
of Experience Points
|up to 100||40% to 30%||up to 30|
|100 - 250||30% to 25%||30 - 60|
|250 - 750||25% to 10%||60 - 75|
|750 - 1,000||10% to 8%||75 - 80|
|1,000 or more||8% to 1%||80 or more|
- Discipline gain is limited at approximately 1,000 per experience point gain.
Maximising Discipline Gain
The Asura Armor doubles Discipline Points earned in combat but increases damage taken and stamina consumption. The Dark Arisen item Ring of Perseverance also increases the amount of Discipline Points earned by half. Two rings and the armor can be worn together which will combine their increased gains.
- The Main Pawn's Discipline Points gain are based on their Experience Point award - thus if the Arisen and pawn are of unequal level, and therefore receiving a different Experience Point award, the amount of Discipline Points gained will also be different for the same action.
- (Exploit) See the Farming Exploits § Discipline Points page for an exploit which allows easy Discipline Point farming during the Post-Game.
- In order to maximise Rank growth and minimise Character Level growth the focus should be on defeating small enemies with modest experience awards.
- Hiring two high level pawns can reduce experience point gain per foe, and increase the relative amount of Discipline Point growth.