Defense represents the resistance to physical damage. Defense lowers the total amount of health damage a person or creature takes from a physical attack.
Defense is increased when levelling up and can be significantly increased through the choice of augments, armor and clothing. Defense growth is highest, in order, by levelling as Warrior and Fighter, with Strider and Mystic Knight having fairly good growth and all other vocations below average growth.
The core defense from stat growth is thought to be twice as important as the defense given from equipment.
|Augment||Description||Unlocked by Vocation|
|Sanctuary||Increases defense by 50% if health is critical||Mystic Knight|
|Bloodlust||Increases defense by 30% at nighttime||Assassin|
|Autonomy||Increases defense by 30% if playing alone||Assassin|
Defense and Damage Mitigation
- Main article: Damage Calculation.
For foes and monsters it seems their defense is subtracted from the "Attack Power" of the Arisen's or ally's attacks, and if the value is positive they take that amount of damage. (modified by periapts, blunt and slashing weaknesses and so on).
For monster attacks on the Arisen and Pawns it seems that defense works differently - that is that damage is related to defense by the equation :
- Damage = Foe_Attack_Power x 100 / (DEFnaked + 0.5xDEFequipment + 100)
As such core Defence is more (twice as) important than equipment defence. There are also diminishing returns from having higher defense - according to the equation the first 100 (or 200 of equipment defense) should half damage, but it takes a further 300 (or 600 of equipment defence) to reduce damage by a further quarter..
- May be abbreviated to DEF.
- The maximum core Defense by level 200 is 767. This is achievable by leveling as a Fighter from 1-200.
- The armor with highest defense is the Hellfire Armor Set (DEF 784), with Patterned Gambeson (DEF 41), and Silk Tights (DEF 29) - an equipment defense of 854 can be obtained.
- Two Master Rings could give a maximum boost of +50 each.
- The total maximum effective Defense is therefore : 767+854/2+100/2 = 1244 - this would reduce physical damage by over 92%
- Use of the Brutish Wall shield, which converts MDEF to DEF, with a high Magick Defense character (levelled as Magick Archer from 10-100) might give a higher overall defense
- The minimum core Defense by level 200 is 177. This is achievable by leveling as a Mage from 1-10, Mage or Sorcerer from 11-100, then Mage, Sorcerer, or Magick Archer from 101-200.
- Damage Reducing Augments can further reduce both physical and magickal damage
- See also Magick Defense