In several respects Dark is the opposite of Holy - generally enemies weak to Holy will be strong to Dark, and vice versa.
Damaging Dark attacks accumulate with every hit to the enemy, and will eventually cause a "critical hit" should their Dark threshold be breached. Both physical (eg Rooted Gloom) and magickal attacks (Stagnant Surge) from dark enchanted weapons can inflict critical damage; some but not all dark based spells (eg Necromancy, but not Abyssal Anguish) can also give critical hits.
Generally larger and more dark resistant foes have a higher threshold: a Cyclops can take over a dozen successive hits to breach the threshold, whilst an Ox usually is critically hit after under six strikes; and some small creatures such as spiders or snakes have no resistance and take a critical hit on every strike.
Dark magick resistant equipment does not reduce the chance of a critical hit, though it does reduce the damage. It is not known if some equipment has a critical resistance as a hidden stat.
A critical hit is indicated by tendrils of dark 'anti-energy' flashing through the target. The critical hit damages with dark based magick with very high base power supplemented by the attacker's Core Magick.
Spells, Skills and Equipment
- Spells and Skills
- List of Armor and Clothing Sets with Dark resistance
- List of Head Armor with Dark resistance
- List of Torso Armor with Dark resistance
- List of Leg Armor with Dark resistance
- List of Arms Armor with Dark resistance
- List of Leg Clothing with Dark resistance
- List of Chest Clothing with Dark resistance
- List of Cloaks with Dark resistance
- There are no known items that give protection against dark critical hits.