- "The cage atop this archistaff holds a font of magickal energy. Successive magick strikes without taking damage raise its power, but at maximum power, one hit drops Stamina to 0."
Striking foes with Caged Fury charges the magick cage at the head of the staff, increasing magick power - all attacks, excluding Magick Bolt, Focused Bolt and Magick Agent but including Magick Billow will charge the cage.
The archistaff is charged by striking foes with spells other than Magick Bolt - each strike increases the stored power, up to a maximum of ten strikes.
There are three visible stages of intensity of the charge; the intensity of blue light directly corresponds with the amount of power stored. On reaching a higher stage of power a light "chime" sound that is distinctly recognizable is produced.
- The first stage activates after hitting an enemy once, and corresponds to blue-white glowing wrists.
- The second stage activates after hitting an enemy a further four times (five total) - once reached the whole arms will take on a bluish glow, extending to the body.
- The third and final stage activates after hitting an enemy a further five times (ten total), and corresponds to a bright upper body and head bluewhite fire-glow.
Multiple hitting spells such as Miasma or Maelstrom are effective in rapidly fully charging this weapon. The power or type of spell used to hit the foe does not matter, just the number of strikes. Magick Billow also works, as do non-damaging spells like Lassitude or Silentium. Exequy does not charge the staff, nor does Thrown Damage.
Being hit causes the charge to dissipate - this includes wind buffets, shocks from explosions and so on - at the highest charge being hit also drains all stamina, causing gasping.
Power and Damage
Power and damage increases with charging, with a maximum of two times attack power when fully charged. This not only doubles the effective power of the staff (up to a maximum of 1044 magick at goldforged), but also doubles effective core magick.
Strength is not boosted by charging the archistaff.
For creatures with strong magick defense the higher stages can break through a creatures magick defense - thus for such foes the damage increase may be much greater than double.
| 0|| 1|| 2|| 3|
|N/A||26,200 G|| 90,200 G|
| 275,100 G|
Vengeful Mirror x3
| Click here for|
| 5,400 RC|
Rugged Femur x2
| 7,400 RC|
Ruinous Relic x2
- In Dark Arisen, the staff can be purchased at The Black Cat.
- In Dragon's Dogma can only be acquired as part of the Weapon Pack: The Debilitator, and then further copies bought from The Black Cat.
Enhancement Item Locations
- Dropped by a Skeleton Mage.
- Vengeful Mirrors
- Dropped by a Lich.
- Rugged Femur
- Ruinous Relic
- Dropped by the Dark Bishop
- Though multi strike spells (Bolide, Maelstrom etc) charge the staff as they hit the damage does not increase until a second casting.
- The effect as full charge is powerful - if Core Magick exceeds 686 a fully charged Caged Fury will outdamage even a Sanguine Stalk.
- In Dark Arisen, this weapon can be gifted to another Pawn.
- Effects do not carry over past loading screens, and the boost is lost if weapons are changed.
- If one Caged Fury is swapped for another the effect remains.
- The sword Force Hatchet has a similar effect.