Blunt Damage is a stat representing a type of physical damage - generally inflicted by Maces, Warhammers, Shields and Arrows ‡. In game a weapon's blunt ability is represented by a Bludgeoning Strength of either 0 or 100%. Armor can give resistance to bludgeoning damage - in game this is called Striking Resistance (also known as Blunt Resistance †) also as a percentage.

Blunt damage is generally damage done by unedged weapons. It can be interpreted as bruising, crushing, smashing and crunching damage.


All the weapons in Dragon's Dogma are classed as either 100% slashing or 100% bludgeoning †. When physical bludgeoning power is calculated the actual power (and hence damage) is reduced by the srtiking resistance.

Human resistances come entirely from clothing and armor; with no clothing and armor the Striking resistance is zero.

The armor with the highest resistance is the Steel Armor Set with 46% resistance - if worn with the Silver Chainmail Set an additional 16% resistance is added - a total of 62%.

Creature resistances


  • † It is not clear why no mixed slashing and bludgeoning weapons have been coded - there are many weapons that have both blunt and sharp elements - e.g. the Steel Urchin. It is also not clear why there is bludgeoning damage but striking resistance.
  • ‡ It is not clear why arrows do blunt damage.
  • Unarmed Combat is thought to be blunt damage
  • The staff attack Magick Billow is though to be blunt damage.
  • Bone based armors have negative resistance to blunt damage, including the Grisly Armor Set, Bone Armor, and Bone Plate Armor.
  • For more details on how damage, power, and resistances affect health damage on foes and allies see Damage Calculation.
  • Note For the individual pages on creatures the resistances in this wiki are as a literal percentage of the bludgeoning damage - thus a value of 80% means that 80% of the theoretical maximum attack power is used - equivalent to a resistance of 20%. On the page List of Creature Elemental and Melee Resistances however the values are expressed as a relative percentage - thus the above value (of 80%) would be given as "-20%" in that table.