Several key characters are more likely to become beloveds, as their questlines tend to maximise affinity if completed - they are Selene, Quina, Aelinore, Madeleine, Mercedes Marten, Reynard, Julien, and Valmiro.
To attempt to set a choice for beloved raise affinity as much as possible, preferably by gifting an Arisen's Bond. Potential conflicts can be settled by lowering other's affinities, possibly even resorting to the use of a Liquid Effluvium.
The "beloved" is chosen at the beginning of each quest that concerns the beloved. This choice is based on which person the Arisen has the highest Affinity with at that point. If multiple people share the same amount of affinity then the last person to reach that point is chosen.
- It is also thought that Aelinore is the default beloved, if the Arisen formed no lasting bonds with any other during the main quest.
- A Beloved is not chosen based on gender and it is entirely possible for your beloved to be the same gender as the Arisen.
- Though effective in greatly raising affinity gifting an Arisen's Bond does not absolutely guarantee that a person will be chosen.
- Some characters as beloved can actually help greatly; for example, the traders Fournival, Reynard, or Mathias will move to Cassardis and make their sale items easier to access.
- The ease of gaining Merchant and Innkeeper affinity was greatly reduced as part of the changes made to the Dark Arisen version of the game to prevent Arisen accidentally entering into long-term relationships with people like Asalam and Caxton.