In The Final Battle the beloved is kidnapped by The Dragon, and the Arisen must chose to either fight and save, or sacrifice them.
Almost every character can become the Arisen's beloved and be kidnapped by the Dragon.
Several key characters are more likely to become beloveds, as their questlines tend to maximise affinity if completed - they are Selene, Quina, Aelinore, Madeleine, Mercedes Marten, Reynard, Julien, and Valmiro.
To attempt to set a choice for beloved raise affinity as much as possible, preferably by gifting an Arisen's Bond. Potential conflicts can be settled by lowering other's affinities, possibly even resorting to the use of a Liquid Effluvium.
The "beloved" is chosen at the beginning of each quest that concerns the beloved. This choice is based on which person the Arisen has the highest Affinity with at that point. If multiple people share the same amount of affinity then the last person to reach that point is chosen.
- The cutoff point for the kidnapping of the beloved during Deny Salvation is entering the rooftop and the fight that forms the climax of the quest.
- It is also thought that Aelinore is the default beloved, if the Arisen formed no lasting bonds with any other during the main quest.
- A Beloved is not chosen based on gender and it is entirely possible for your beloved to be the same gender as the Arisen.
- Though effective in greatly raising affinity gifting an Arisen's Bond does not absolutely guarantee that a person will be chosen.
- Some characters as beloved can actually help greatly; for example, the traders Fournival, Reynard, or Mathias will move to Cassardis and make their sale items easier to access.
- The ease of gaining Merchant and Innkeeper affinity was greatly reduced as part of the changes made to the Dark Arisen version of the game to prevent Arisen accidentally entering into long-term relationships with people like Asalam and Caxton.
- It is not necessarily true that all Arisen's must have a person as a beloved - more generally it seems that the Dragon requires a sacrifice of what the hold most dear, whatever that is - the Ancient Tablet takes the form of an object that binds the Arisen to that treasured thing or person.
- "That tablet! ...Then it has presented itself to you as well, Arisen of the present day. I held it once, though it knew a different form, then. 'Tis the Arisen's bond, an oath given form. It has shown itself to each Arisen in turn since time immemorial, ever changing its guise. Perhaps it is a test of sorts... Though it appears a humble tablet now, it will take on the form best suited to you when the time is come." .. "Tis the symbol of an oath that will bind you to what you hold most dear. That it chose a ring for its shape stands proof that other people are what you hold most dear. Make no mistake, the one you vouchsafe this ring to will be bound to you most powerfully. [..]" (The Dragonforged during The Dragon's Tongue)"