- "Your night among the Enlistment Corps was restful. Not so the morning: The Corps' lack of vigilance has invited a hideous visitor."
Accept Mercedes offer of a bed, but beware what the morning will bring.
To begin, speak with Mercedes at the Encampment and accept the offer to rest. Not soon after resting, a cutscene will trigger. The Arisen will wake to find The Encampment under attack by a giant Hydra. After the cutscene, attack the Hydra to drive it away.
Battle the Hydra
There are many ways to approach this battle - but the primary goal is to simply inflict enough damage to the Hydra to sever a head and cause the monster to retreat
One may strike the Hydra anywhere with any available attack, but the Hydra's weak spots are its heads. Either climb one of its heads and attack it from there, or use ranged attacks shoot to at the heads with a bow or with magic spells.
The Hydra will immediately be defeated if one of the heads is cut off. Oddly, this can occur without directly attacking any of the heads. Simply inflicting enough damage will end the battle.
If the battle drags on for too long, a cutscene will ensue where Mercedes throws an Explosive Barrel to the player to throw at the Hydra. The Hydra will swallow the barrel, and striking the barrel in its neck will instantly decapitate it.
- On completing this quest the escort quest Off With Its Head can be undertaken straight away or delayed - additional quests at Cassardis also become available at this point.
- For more general info on battling Hydra see the page Hydra.
- Getting a Hydra to swallow a barrel is part of its Bestiary Knowledge - for more details see Hydra.
- To delay the fight sufficiently for the cutscene to occur simply do not attack the Hydra .. however pawns may interfere in the battle so either unarm them, or lead them (using the "come" command) to a place where they cannot attack, carrying pawns as prevents them fighting.
- It is possible to delay the quest forever by not hitting the Explosive Barrel in the Hydra's neck after the cutscene. However, one cannot leave the Encampment without finishing this quest.
- Items that heal the whole party (such as Spring Water or Balmy Incense) will also heal the Encampment soldiers.